The behavior of "-u/--update" option on directories

Florian-Daniel Otel otel at ce.chalmers.se
Tue Jan 14 03:47:02 EST 2003

Aaron,

Aaron Morris writes:
> rsync is just doing what your are telling it to do.  Update if the file
> is changed or does not exist on the remote side and delete if it no
> longer exists on the local side.

Yes, I can RTFM, and, suprisingly!, I  even _did_ RTFM :)).

> The directory may have a newer
> timestamp, but you are doing a recursive put so it has to check all the
> files and dirs under each directory.  At least that is how I see it.
>
> solution:  --exclude "/tmp/"   or   --exclude "tmp/"

Well, I think you missed the point. The "tmp" subdir was just an example. The
same can happen in any subdir down the tree. And, if you re-read my
post carefully (or even the subject), I said "--update" (mis)behavior
__on_directories__ (and _not_ regular files).

Truth to be told, after a bit of thinking I _might_ accept the fact
that "--update" ignores the timestamps on (sub)directories. Because
if it didn't, if any file was "touch"-ed remotely after the last rsync
than all subdirs,  up to and including to the "top" dir, would have a
newer timestamp remotely and thus no file putting would take place.

However, I still think that "--update" (or, ideally,  another similar
option or combination of options)  __should__ take into account
(sub)directories timestamps and consider for processing only those
(sub)directories that have remotely an older timestamp than
locally.

Or, to put it in your words "...doing a recursive put should
be restricted __only__ to the (sub)directories that remotely have a
timestamp older than locally". If that means that _no_ update
(i.e. put) will take place because __any__ file deep down the tree was
touched remotely since the last put...well, than that's it.

Again, thanks in advance to  anyone can suggest a way to have rsync
__also__ in this way.

Best regards,

Florian