Please test rsync-2.5.6pre1
dwd at drdykstra.us
Mon Jan 13 17:17:00 EST 2003
The first rsync-2.5.6 pre-release version is now available at:
There's also a corresponding '.sig' file that contains a gpg signature
of the file; the public key is available on the pgp keyservers.
Please test it out thoroughly and report problems and bug fix patches to
this mailing list.
Known issues that will probably need to be resolved before the final
1. The Redhat Linux ia64 and Alpha and the OpenBSD Sparc64 ports are
all failing the daemon-gzip-upload and daemon-gzip-download tests
even though the basic daemon test succeeds. The OpenBSD test
reports a core dump, and I suspect they're all having the same
problem related to 64 bit. See build output on build.samba.org.
Somebody else is going to have to fix this, I don't have the
2. The NetBSD i386 port is failing the chgrp test. NetBSD users, see
3. --copy-unsafe-links is badly broken. I'm planning on trying to
fix this myself.
4. The --modify-window option should default to 2 seconds or 1 second
on Cygwin. I'll put this in once somebody determines which it
5. The documentation hosts allow & hosts deny needs to be updated for
Changes since the 2.5.5 release:
* The --delete-after option now implies --delete. (Wayne Davison)
* The --suffix option can now be used with --backup-dir. (Michael
* Combining "::" syntax with the -rsh/-e option now uses the
specified remote-shell as a transport to talk to a (newly-spawned)
server-daemon. This allows someone to use daemon features, such
as modules, over a secure protocol, such as ssh. (JD Paul)
* The rsync:// syntax for daemon connections is now accepted in the
* If the file name given to --include-from or --exclude-from is "-",
rsync will read from standard input. (J.W. Schultz)
* New option --link-dest which is like --compare-dest except that
unchanged files are hard-linked in to the destination directory.
* Don't report an error if an excluded file disappears during an
rsync run. (Eugene Chupriyanov and Bo Kersey)
* Added .svn to --cvs-exclude list to support subversion. (Jon
* Properly support IPv6 addresses in the rsyncd.conf "hosts allow"
and "hosts deny" fields. (Hideaki Yoshifuji)
* Fix "forward name lookup failed" errors on AIX 4.3.3. (John
L. Allen, Martin Pool)
* Generate each file's rolling-checksum data as we send it, not
in a separate (memory-eating) pass before hand. This prevents
timeout errors on really large files. (Stefan Nehlsen)
* Fix compilation on Tru64. (Albert Chin, Zoong Pham)
* Better handling of some client-server errors. (Martin Pool)
* Fixed a crash that would occur when sending a list of files that
contains a duplicate name (if it sorts to the end of the file
list) and using --delete. (Wayne Davison)
* Fixed a bug that caused rsync to lose the exit status of its child
processes and sometimes return an exit code of 0 instead of showing
an error. (David R. Staples, Dave Dykstra)
* Many code cleanups and improved internal documentation. (Martin
Pool, Nelson Beebe)
* More test cases. (Martin Pool)
* Updated included popt to the latest vendor drop, version 1.6.4.
- Dave Dykstra
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 232 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/attachments/20030113/791a7684/attachment.bin
More information about the rsync