Problem with french characters

Oliver Krehan okrehan at karlsruhe.actaris.com
Fri Jan 10 15:09:02 EST 2003

Hi,

I have a problem synchronizing a windows directory to a linux directory.
The filenames on the windows machine have sometimes french characters
with accents (quite usual for french language...). Rsync or the
filesystem of the linux box can obviously not handle this character type
and create filenames with unreadable symbols in it. After the first sync
the files/folders with such characters can not be opened or edited.

I use the newest rsync version on both systems, on windows the one which
comes with the cygwin shell (2.5.5.2), on linux the one which comes with
RedHat 8.0 (ver. 2.5.5). I also use ssh (openssh 3.4p1) for encryption
but I don't think this is the cause.

Anybody ever seen this kind of failure ? I there a chance to give rsync
the correct codepage so it can transfer the files with correct names ?

Thanks for your help

Oliver Krehan