Windows and default --modify-window=0

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 9 22:42:02 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:21:36PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> jw schultz wrote:
>
> >The 2 second timestamp resolution only applies to some
> >windows filesystems.  I think NTFS has timestamp resolution
> >in the milliseconds (unlrelated to precision).  It should
> >only become an issue when the windows filesystem is the
> >destination.
> >
> This message says it is 2 seconds aso on NTFSD actually:
> http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2000-July/002491.html

I don't use windows myself.  I just recall that one of the
windows filesystem has timestamps in the milliseconds.

> >Further examination shows that it is
> >already hacked in options.c for win32:
> >| #ifdef _WIN32
> >| int modify_window=2;
> >| #else
> >| int modify_window=0;
> >| #endif
> >perhaps something just needs to be added to the #ifdef.
> >
> Ohhh... I'd add CygWin to the #ifdef too, then.
> Grr, I *never* remember what does cygwin define and what not ^_^
>
> Let me check... this message
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2001-04/msg00039.html
> suggests that to include djgpp, mingw and cygwin the full ifdef should be:
>
> #if defined(__GO32__) || defined(_WIN32) || defined (__CYGWIN__)
>
> Should I add that to the current 2.5.5 cygwin port (creating a -3 release)
> or 2.5.6 will be short in time?

Depends on how urgent this is.  Given you have a workaround
i'd get it in cvs and wait.  Assuming the 2.5.6 really does
happen soon.

Please try a modify-window of 1.  Maybe my math is off
somehow but i don't think it needs to be greater than 1.
Take a look at the code in util.c.  If you truncate to 2
second resolution and compare against 1 second resolution
the difference should never be greater than 1 second.
It won't make a difference very often but i'd still feel
better making the window as small as possible.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt