Help With Restoring

mhanze at hanzehome.com mhanze at hanzehome.com
Thu Jan 9 19:49:00 EST 2003

To Mike and the Rsync community,

        This is by far the greatest utility I have ever used for backing
up an entire system. My Redhat server got botched during an upgrade. I
reformatted my partitions and installed a minimal system. Rsync'ed the
entire / directory back and the server came back to life. databases,
websites, hardware configs, everything! I'm back in business.  As a Linux
newbie, not a luser, I really appreciate the response I received from Mike
and others. As the days pass and my skills refine, I will offer back as
much support as I can. I guess you can say another BillyBorg saved :)

Thanks Again!

Mark

> > > rsync --delete --stats --compress --recursive --times --perms
--links
> > > --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh --exclude "tmp/" --exclude "dev/" --exclude
"proc/"
> > > --exclude "backups/ " --delete-excluded --backup
> > > --backup-dir=/backup2/BACKED_UP_SERVER_FQDN/$DAY -a /*
> > > CENTRAL_SERVER_IP:/backup2/BACKED_UP_SERVER_FQDN/current && echo
"Daily
> > > backup ran on `date`" >> /var/log/backup.log
> >
> > Notice that if you have any dotfiles in / (that is, flies that begin
with
> > a "."), this will not copy them, but normally you wouldn't have
dotfiles
> > in / so it shouldn't matter.  Might want to start using / instead of
/*
> > from now on though, just for good form.
>
> Thanks fot the tip :)
>

> > > This has been working fine and I've even been able to restore files
using
> > > scp from time to time. now I'm faced with a bare metal recovery
> cause of a
> > > botched upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to 8.0 that failed half way through.
This