Stats

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 9 16:57:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:48:50AM -0600, Max Kipness II wrote:
> Total file size: 383219712 bytes
> Total transferred file size: 383219712 bytes
> Literal data: 3143680 bytes
> Matched data: 380076032 bytes
>
> The total file size is definitely correct, but what I don't understand
> is the transfered size. Is rsync reporting that roughly 380mb matches?
> It would seem like it to me. But is so, why did it transfer the entire
> file?

You're thinking of the word transfer in the wrong sense here.  Rsync's
transferred file size is the total of all file sizes that needed to be
updated.  However, it doesn't mean that those bytes were sent literally
over the wire.  That stat is taken care of in the next two lines, which
tells you how much data was actually communicated literally (3143680
bytes) and how much data was communicated via matched blocks (380076032
byes).  Also, in a set of files where some matched and some didn't, the
total file size would have included the entire set of files (including
those that were up-to-date).  In a set of one, needs-to-be-updated file,
the total size will always match the transferred size.