long directory name problem

elijah reyen rsync at reyen.com
Wed Jan 8 15:35:00 EST 2003

Does rsync has directory name length limit?  I was trying to rsync a directory that has the name length of 34 characters and getting permission denied error.

$ rsync -avz --delete --force -e ssh /usr/local/apache/htdocs 192.168.0.2:/usr/local/apache
building file list ...
readlink htdocs/CorporateLegalTimesEDITORIAL_files/cBug_blueXs.gif: Permission denied
readlink httpd/html/CorporateLegalTimesEDITORIAL_files/title_a.gif: Permission denied

When I rename the directory to about half of its original length, the error goes away.  Any advise are appreciated.
--
ER