filelist calculation algoritm

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jan 8 09:12:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:42:39AM +0100, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> jw schultz wrote:

> >>as I understand this works only when connecting to a rsync daemon...
> >>what if I wanted to use ssh as a shell?
> >

> >Compression works fine over ssh.  Don't know where you got
> >the impression it doesn't given what is in the manpage.
> >

> I did not refer to compression: I was wondering if there's a way for
> updating only a list of files with the `cat` trick...

Sorry.  I just couldn't imagine the command substitution not
working.  It is a property of the shell, not rsync.

Actually, in the case of a pull operation it won't work with
a daemon but will via remote shell (ssh, rsh, etc) as the
remote rsync command line will be executed via a shell which
will be able to do command substitution.  It is just a
matter of quoting to defer interpolation.  This was
addressed a couple of months ago on this list.

The one drawback to this method of dealing with a list is
that it will flatten it.  Each item in the list will be
synced to the same destination as though you had run
separate rsync commands.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt