directories that change into symlinks

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Tue Jan 7 20:45:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 08:36:35AM -0700, David Garamond wrote:
> John Van Essen wrote:
> >Dave,
> >
> >What you need is the --force option.  It's not obvious from the
> >all-too-generic name, but that will do the trick.
> >
> >To the rsync maintainers - this is somewhat of an FAQ.  Perhaps
> >the error message could also say '(see the --force option)' to
> >help users discover the solution more easily.
>
> thanks john, that solved the problem. i should've perhaps looked at the
> manpage twice. the manpage (2.5.5) already states this quite clearly:
>
>  --force   force deletion of directories even if not empty
>
> however, i personally think --force should be the default as it is more
> common, or shouldn't it?

Could you please post your full command line and say where in the directory
structure the directories were replaced by symlinks?  I have not yet been
able to come up with an example where --force makes a difference when
using --delete and -r (or -a).  Refer to
    http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-January/005971.html

- Dave Dykstra