filelist calculation algoritm

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 5 00:03:00 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 12:40:05PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> One specifying subpaths and the other for those having a shared
> prefix.

I don't see why this is needed.  For instance, your example of a shared
prefix:

> 	find srcdir | myfilter | rsync --file-list - srcdir destloc

would be easily written without any sharing:

    find srcdir | myfilter | rsync --file-list - . destloc

or:

    find /foo/bar | myfilter | rsync --file-list - / destloc

Am I missing something?

> doing
> 	rsync --file-list-relative - src dest <<EOL"
> 	file1
> 	file2
> 	dir1/file3
> 	EOL
> would actually sync
> 	src/file1
> 	src/file2
> 	src/dir1
> 	src/dir1/file3
> 	dest/file1
> 	dest/file2
> 	dest/dir1
> 	dest/dir1/file3

I think that should only happen if the --relative option is set.
Otherwise all 3 files should go directly into "dest".