filelist calculation algoritm

Aaron Morris aaronmorris at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 4 18:51:02 EST 2003

You did not specifically mention it:  compression (-z) would probably
help more than anything.  Otherwise, you could do something like:

Have a file (ie filelist.txt) that contains the filename (with relative
paths), one file per line.

rsync -rRWz `cat filelist.txt` user at hostname::module

The only limitation to this is if you have a large file list you may get
  a shell error.

It has already been suggested in this list, as well as by myself in the
rsync wishlist for a new option to specify a file that has a list of
files to be transferred.

wim delvaux wrote:
> HI all,
>
> efficiency question for VERY low bandwith networks
>
> Suppose I know the list of files that are changed
> What is the most efficient way to make rsync sync this list.
>
> Currently I use --include-from --exclude to generate a 'filelist' but I
> suspect that client and/or server exchange the list of files in the module to
> be synced.  this traffic can be avoided since the include-from points to FILE
> names and not FILE patterns
>
> Suggestions ?

Aaron W Morris
decep