am I missing something, or are permissions always preserved?

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Wed Jan 1 15:24:01 EST 2003

Ben [mailto:bench at tukati.com]

> I'm relatively new to rsync, but it seems to me that if there's an
> option to perserve permissions and you don't set it, then rsync
> shouldn't do anything with permissions.

Sounds good, but recall how POSIX / Unix system calls work. To create a
file, you have to specify what mode (permission) it should have.  There is
no way to tell creat() or open() to "do the default thing."

I think a case could be made that this is a defect / incompatibility in the
underlying file system layer that issues complaints about permissions.
Before I attempted to code any kind of a fix, I'd sure want to read the
specs of this layer and understand how the designers thought this problem
should be approached.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Computer, Inc.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Video on request.