[2.5.6] File table overflow

jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Feb 27 20:21:00 EST 2003

J.W. Schultz writes

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:04:33AM +0100, jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on my linux box (2.4.21-pre4-ac4)
>> I've used rsync to mirror a rather large /usr/local tree (4 Gb)
>> After transmission of many files I get the error message
>> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)
>>
>> According to /usr/include/asm/errno.h the code 23 says
>> File table overflow

> That isn't errno 23.  Code 23 is an internal error code
> meaning "some files could not be transferred" In other words
> the transfer was not complete.  Look for other error
> messages before that one.

I have a log file of more than 154,000 lines. Searching
for 'error' or 'transfer' doesn't show anything.
So, how can I find out the reason for the failure.
rsync has processed about 154,000 files, though.
There is plenty of space in the target directory.

It might even be that rsync has synced all files
but because of the error is doesn't honour the
--delete option, so it's hard to check if some files
are missing.

If I delete a file on the (remote) source directory,
the error occurs on file later.

So it looks like a limitation (buffer, list, etc) of
rsync.

Thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--