Rsync between HPUX11.11 and Redhat7.3

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Feb 27 09:06:17 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:11:12PM +0200, Stanton Scott wrote:
> Cool, I am now running rsync 2.5.6 on both the client and
> server side unfortunaly still no luck.
>
> The average file sizes are around 100K to 20MB. There are
> the occasional large files, no larger than 700MB,
> approximate total size of rsync server directroy to be
> coppied 16GB.

The low hanging fruit is out of the way now.
We are on a 100Mb or faster switched LAN, yes?

If the transfer rate has plummeted to approximately
5KiloBytes/sec something pathalogical must be going on.
I've never heard of performance drops down to that
magnitude.  --whole-file might avoid the pathology but i'd
be concerned that something is seriously wrong.

On the biggest of files (>100MB) are you seeing any
"redoing" messages?  If not i'd say we have a problem
outside of rsync.  Rsync is notorious for stressing the disk
and memory systems to the point of failure.

Check the system logs on both ends, perhaps there are disk
errors or filesystem problems.  I don't know the HPUX
specific issues well enough to address them.
You will of course have avoided PDC and HPT controllers.

Perhaps there is a networking issue.  Netstat might show
something.

Since it is only 16GB i'd suggest setting up another machine
to play alternate roles.  Make copies of the relevant trees
to it (using something other than rsync) and have it play
one role and then the other.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt