Rsync between HPUX11.11 and Redhat7.3

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Feb 26 08:02:18 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:57:48PM +0200, Stanton Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The number of files we are trying to mirror is
> approximately: 100 000 and growing.

That isn't very many.  Your root filesystem probably has
more.  File count is not the problem.

> The version of RSYNC are as follows:
> - On HPUX   : 2.5.6 (client)
> - On Redhat : 2.5.4 (server)

Upgrade.  Lots of fixes between 2.5.4 and 2.5.6.  Correction
to above: Data volume could be pushing you over the edge
in 2.5.4.

> The kernel version of the Redhat server is:  2.4.18-3
> The amount of physical memory on the Redhat server is: 512m

Should be plenty of memory, especially with only 100,000
files.  And the worst of the swap storms were fixed in
2.4.18

> The rsync server and client do not appear to be under much
> of a load when performing this rsync operation.
>
> I have tried using rsync without using compression, but
> unfortunaly this did not correct the problem.
>
> I am incorrect in saying that rsync freezes, I have
> identified it does not actualy freeze it just slows down
> incredibly ( +- 5kb per second transfer speed), it just
> appeared to freeze.
>
> With a smaler amount of files rsync works perfectly between
> my HP and Linux box.
>
> Im not sure why rsync slows down to such a degree, do you
> think playing with the socket options could have a
> possitive affect ?

No.

The most likely culprit is the fact that you are down-rev.
Get up to 2.5.6 and if the problem persists we'll revisit
it.

If the problem persists you should characterize file sizes
and identify the largest file size.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt