Rsync between HPUX11.11 and Redhat7.3

Stanton Scott sas1 at ananzi.co.za
Wed Feb 26 01:57:48 EST 2003

Hi,

The number of files we are trying to mirror is
approximately: 100 000 and growing.

The version of RSYNC are as follows:
- On HPUX   : 2.5.6 (client)
- On Redhat : 2.5.4 (server)

The kernel version of the Redhat server is:  2.4.18-3
The amount of physical memory on the Redhat server is: 512m

The rsync server and client do not appear to be under much
of a load when performing this rsync operation.

I have tried using rsync without using compression, but
unfortunaly this did not correct the problem.

I am incorrect in saying that rsync freezes, I have
identified it does not actualy freeze it just slows down
incredibly ( +- 5kb per second transfer speed), it just
appeared to freeze.

With a smaler amount of files rsync works perfectly between
my HP and Linux box.

Im not sure why rsync slows down to such a degree, do you
think playing with the socket options could have a
possitive affect ?

Thanks,
Stanton.