Rsync between HPUX11.11 and Redhat7.3

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Feb 25 21:01:53 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:16:23PM +0200, Stanton Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If anyone has an Idea on how to solve the following problem
> it would be greatly appreciated :).
>
> The scenario is as follows:
>
> Im running an rsync server on Redhat7.3. The rsync server
> configuration file looks as follows:
>
> #### rsyncd.conf
>
>  log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
>  pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
>  lock file = /var/run/rsyncd.lock
>  max connections = 5
>  use chroot = true
>  list = true
>  read only = true
>  auth users = rsync_backup
>  secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>  strict modes = true
>  transfer logging = true
>  uid = 0
>  gid = 0
>
> [server_config]
>   path    = /opt/config
>   comment = Server configuration files
>
> [home_dirs]
>   path    = /home
>   comment = User home directories
>
> ## end rsyncd.conf
>
> I then use the HPUX machine as an rsync client. I want to
> mirror all information hosted on the Redhat server to the
> HPUX server. The HPUX server is running HPUX11.11
>
> When running rsync on the HPUX server with the following
> rsync freezes during the file transfer operation.
>
> I have identified that rsync only appears to freeze on copy
> operations that have a large volume of files to be coppied.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or advice on how to fix this
> it would be much appreciated.

You are using fairly vague terms.  "Large volume of files"
is subjective.  To one person 10,000 is a lot, to another
1,000,000 isn't.  What versions of rsync?  Since the file count
seems to be the issue how much memory and the kernel
versions would be more helpful than saying Readhat7.3.

Since it is "frozen" it should be easy for you to look at
the process on the server.  You should look at its memory
footprint, how much paging and swapping is going on and the
like.  On a lan turning off compression would be sensible.
And don't forget to look in the daemon's log file.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt