Rsync between HPUX11.11 and Redhat7.3

Stanton Scott sas1 at ananzi.co.za
Tue Feb 25 20:48:52 EST 2003

Thanks Kenny, I tried this out but unfortunatly still with
no success. I have my doubts whether this is a
cross-platform issue. The reason why I say this is because
if I use rsync over ssh:

rsync -e ssh -avz gandalf::home_dirs/ .

Then the mirroring works correctly, when not running rsync
over ssh then rsync freezes or basicaly slows down to the
point that is mise well of frozen ( less then 5k a second
on a Local LAN ). The reason why I dont wont to use rsync
over ssh is I do not wish to have an additional account for
rsync on the rsync server, I would prefer to use the rsync
user/password authentication method where a valid user
account on the server is not required.

Thanks,
Stanton

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:46:47 -0800
 Kenny Gorman <kgorman at paypal.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this helps, but I remember that I had a
> problem when rsync solaris->red hat.  I basically ended
> up using the whole-file option.  It appeared that there
> was some issue with the incremental compare when
> rsync'ing cross-platform.   Once I used the whole-file
> option, everything was kosher.  Not sure if that fits
> your situation.  Other people on this list may know more
> regarding the nuances of the incremental compare when
> doing it cross-platform.
>
> -kg
>
> Stanton Scott wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >If anyone has an Idea on how to solve the following
> problem
> >it would be greatly appreciated :).
> >
> >The scenario is as follows:
> >
> >Im running an rsync server on Redhat7.3. The rsync
> server
> >configuration file looks as follows:
> >
> >#### rsyncd.conf
> >
> > log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
> > pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
> > lock file = /var/run/rsyncd.lock
> > max connections = 5
> > use chroot = true
> > list = true
> > read only = true
> > auth users = rsync_backup
> > secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
> > strict modes = true
> > transfer logging = true
> > uid = 0
> > gid = 0
> >
> >[server_config]
> >  path    = /opt/config
> >  comment = Server configuration files
> >
> >[home_dirs]
> >  path    = /home
> >  comment = User home directories
> >
> >## end rsyncd.conf
> >
> >I then use the HPUX machine as an rsync client. I want
> >mirror all information hosted on the Redhat server to
> the
> >HPUX server. The HPUX server is running HPUX11.11
> >
> >When running rsync on the HPUX server with the following
> >rsync freezes during the file transfer operation.
> >
> >I have identified that rsync only appears to freeze on
> copy
> >operations that have a large volume of files to be
> coppied.
> >
> >If anyone has any suggestions or advice on how to fix
> this
> >it would be much appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Stanton :).
> >
> >==
> >Download ringtones, logos and picture messages at Ananzi
> Mobile Fun.
> >http://www.ananzi.co.za/cgi-bin/goto.pl?mobile

==