many small files bug

Domsodi Gergely doome at uhulinux.hu
Mon Feb 24 18:17:43 EST 2003

Hi!

I try to copy a lot of little files between a Linux and a Tru64 (I
successfully compiled rsync on a tru64, it needed a little cosmetics), but
it throws me this error (rsync 2.5.5 on both machines):

 779300 files...rsync: error writing 4092 unbuffered bytes - exiting:
Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)

The command line was:
rsync -avzP -e ssh --delete /usr/lib/sympa/spool doome at akela:/backup/lists/sympa//usr/lib/sympa/spool

I tried to workaround excluding /usr/lib/sympa/spool/arc/* (the place of
the web archives with many files), and rsyncing it spearately, but it
seems, the --exclude option is only used at transferring, and not used
when considering the files.

Please write me if you have fixed these bugs, and if you can, send me a
patch.

Thank you for your answer!
--
doome