Error - partial transfer?

John Pettigrew john at headstrong-games.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 09:28:25 EST 2003

I've just set up an rsync backup script as described on www.mikerubel.org.
This runs on a single machine, using rsync to copy the whole HD (less some
excludes) into a backup directory.

When I run the script, I get what appears to be the whole directory tree
listed, and what appears to be the whole tree backed up (AFAICT by looking).
However, at the end of the log I often see the following error:
rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578).

Looking at the rsync website, I've seen several reports of this behaviour,
but there's nothing there to tell me (a) whether it is actually reporting a
real bad transfer (i.e. are my files actually backed up) or (b) how to stop
this error being produced.

Can anyone enlighten me?

SuSE 8.1, rsync 2.5.5-81 (from SuSE CDs).

TiA

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price