rsync vs. rcp

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 20 17:47:26 EST 2003

On 20 Feb 2003, Donovan Baarda abo-at-minkirri.apana.org.au |Rsync List| wrote:

> RSYNC DOES NOT WORK WITH 1GB+ FILES... unless you have a sufficiently
> large block size. See the following;
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg05219.html
>
> This probably needs to be documented somewhere newbie's can find it.

I'd suggest putting in a warning if rsync detects a large file (500M?
1000M?) in its file list.  This should be simple to code and will serve
to let people know that rsync's usually excellent transfer rates might be
suffering a bit because it had to re-checksum the file.

I'd also suggest making the "I had to retransmit the file" message visible
with just "-v", rather than "-vv".

If you all think it's a good idea, but don't want to actually code it, let
me know and I'll build a patch.

  -- Steve