rsync vs. rcp

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Thu Feb 20 17:13:36 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 13:20, jw schultz wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > However, it's not really adequate. A 16K block size only really works
> > for files up to about 500M. Still... that's a lot better than I thought
> > it was at the time.
>
> I'd be very open to increasing the upper limit on the dynamic
> block size but it should be done in balance with increasing
> (dynamically per-file) the block csum-length.

increasing the block size is kinda a hack to compensate for not being
able to increase the csum-length. If you can scale the csum-lenth, then
you don't need to increase the block size to ensure the rsync algorithm
works (but you still probably want to do it to keep your signature size
and processing overheads down).