Can anyone help

Jamie Rossi jamie.rossi at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 20 04:03:54 EST 2003

Hi

I just installed rsync on two servers.

Rsync seems to be running fine on both machines, but I am having
authentication trouble.

Machine A has directories I want to transfer to machine B regularly
Machine B is the one I want to sync to

Can anyone tell me how I do the following>

1. Set up machine a so it accepts machine B connections
2. the syntax from machine A to log in and pull files from machine

I have been using
rsync -a <machineA>::destinations /home/backup/destinations/ (on machine
B)
Where <machineB> is the hostname of machine A . It connects to machine A
but then gives the following message

@ERROR: access denied to destinations from unknown (xx.xx.xx.xxx)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (872 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

This is my first time with rsync and its driving me mad!

Regards

Jamie