MacOS X Rsync Server

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Feb 19 23:37:37 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:50:59AM -0500, lists wrote:
> The first two lines are the daemon stopping/starting:
> Feb 19 06:48:11 x rsyncd[25661]: rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or
> SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(280)
> Feb 19 06:48:18 x rsyncd[29518]: rsyncd version 2.5.5 starting,
> listening on port 873
> Feb 19 11:48:26 x rsyncd[29520]: setgroups failed: Invalid argument
>
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 06:39  AM, jw schultz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:28:58AM -0500, lists wrote:
> >> I am trying to set up a MacOS X rsync server and am not having much
> >> success at the moment.  I'm able to see the "share" alright, but here
> >> is what I get when I actually try to copy anything to the server:
> >>
> >> #rsync -vz /Users/myhome localhost::backup
> >> @ERROR: setgroups failed
> >> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (37 bytes read so far)
> >> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> >> io.c(150)
> >>
> >> I get the same result on any linux server I try this from as well.
> >>
> >> My simple trial rsyncd.conf is:
> >>
> >> [backup]
> >>   path = /Volumes/Backup
> >>   comment = Backup Directory for OS X
> >>   read only = false
> >>
> >> Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
> >
> > OSX has a problem with zeroing supplemental groups?
> >
> > Start by looking in the daemon log (probably going to
> > syslogd) and see what the errno is.  Frankly it should be
> > almost impossible to have this error if autoconf is getting
> > it right.

It would seem that OS X does indeed have a problem zeroing
the supplimental groups.  Configure is only testing for the
existance of setgroups().  What does the setgroups(2)
manpage on OS X say?  The call is setgroups(0, NULL).

If you built rsync yourself you could work around the problem
by editing config.h and changing
	#define HAVE_SETGROUPS 1
	#define HAVE_SETGROUPS 0
and rebuilding.

This workaround could cause some problems if root has any
suplimental group memberships.  We still should identify why
OS X is having this problem so it can be resolved.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt