rsync/cygwin - strange behavior with VFAT-formatted USB-disk

Nick Lindsell nick at nexnix.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 22:17:56 EST 2003

At 11:21 19/02/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>I guess it has something to do with the with the VFAT-formatted USB-disk -
>I've tried the same command with my local NTFS-formatted harddisk as backup
>media - and everything works fine!
>
>Any ideas :o( ??

It could be a shortfalling of the VFAT filesystem - specifically the way vfat
handles permission and ownership which is greatly inferior to Linux ext2/3
filesystems.

I used to have a vfat partition on my server back when it was dual boot
linux/winNT.
It was impossible to change ownership on the vfat volume:-

"chown -R nick.nick *"  would always give
"operation not permitted"

Just a guess.....

hih
nick at nexnix