Include files though directory excluded

Gregor Waluga gregor.waluga at web.de
Tue Feb 18 11:46:27 EST 2003

Am Dienstag, 18. Februar 2003 01:04 schrieb Max Bowsher:

Hi,

> > My general problem is, that I want to use an include-file, where also
> > exludes are listed. Here's my file (base directory is /home/gregor/):
> > - *
> > - .*
> > + .kde/share/apps/kabc/*
> > + .kde/share/apps/kbear/*
> > + .kde/share/apps/kopete/*
> > + .kde/share/apps/korganizer/*
> > + .kde/share/apps/quanta/*
> > + .gaim/*
> > + .gaimrc
> > + .OpenOffice/user/config/*
> > + .OpenOffice/user/wordbook/*
> >
> > What's wrong here??
>
> You exclude everything on the first line. Rsync never looks beyond the
> initial exclude, because it matches _everything_.

OK, my file looks now as follows:

+ .kde/share/apps/kabc/
+ .kde/share/apps/kbear/
+ .kde/share/apps/kopete/
+ .kde/share/apps/korganizer/
+ .kde/share/apps/quanta/
+ .gaim/
+ .gaimrc
+ .OpenOffice/user/config/
+ .OpenOffice/user/wordbook/
- *
- .*

My console output is:
building file list ...
3 files to consider
.gaimrc
wrote 356 bytes  read 24 bytes  760.00 bytes/sec
total size is 1949  speedup is 5.13

Why was only this one file transferred? I want the other directories to be
synchronized, too. I do know that e.g. the OpenOffice wordbook isn't
synchronized yet!
The tree on both machines is equal (base directory is /home/gregor/).

Thanks a lot for any help!

--
Regards,
Gregor