Confussion in mirroring

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Wed Feb 12 21:53:53 EST 2003

Hi,

RSync copies files byte for byte. RSync is much like a copy command, but
only copies the bytes that have changed in a file. It won't reget the file
(saving bandwidth). It also checks if the file has not been corrupted in the
transfer. Backing up generally means copying a file to a medium and
compressing it at the same time. Rsync does not compress the data when it
saves it to disk. However to save bandwidth Rsync can compress the data
before it is sent, then it decompresses it when it gets to the other end.

Thanks

Mathew