Problem with rsync from one machine

Tom Walsh slim at ala.net
Fri Feb 7 08:01:07 EST 2003

I am not sure where to begin so I will be as verbose as I can to explain the
problem.

I have 3 servers. Their specs are:

Machine A: Redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.9-34 openssh 3.1p1-5
Machine B: Redhat 7.3 kernel 2.4.9-31 openssh 3.1p1-5
Machine C: Debian Woody kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 openssh 3.4p1 rsync 2.5.6

I am running an rsync over ssh from Machine C to Machine B with the
following:

rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/"slogin -l
root -o Compression=yes" --recursive --times --links --perms --owner --group
machineB.com:/etc /backup/machineB.com/etc

This works flawlessly.

When I run an rsync over ssh from Machine C to Machine A with the following:

rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/"slogin -l
root -o Compression=yes" --recursive --times --links --perms --owner --group
machineA.com:/etc /backup/machineA.com/etc

The following occurs:

All directories on Machine A /etc are replicated on Machine C
/backup.../etc, however when the process starts to transfer files from
Machine A, I get:

receiving file list ...
650 files to consider
etc/
etc/.pwd.lock
  30888880 0%   8.82MB/s 538:49:00

Looks pretty normal, except the fact that /etc/.pwd.lock is a 0 size file...
So I am not sure where it is getting all that data from.

This occurs with any directory I specify, same result.

I have looked both installs... and I really can't seem to find out why one
works and the other does not.

I started looking at the file systems... and Machine A is ext2 Machine B is
ext3 and Machine C is also ext3, but I can't see how that would matter... I
am just grasping for straws here.

Does anybody see why it works with one machine but not another?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Tom Walsh
Network Administrator
http://www.ala.net/