Feature request...

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 3 04:42:13 EST 2003

Hi Dan,

> I would like a '-i, --interactive' option
> to use with --delete, so I can decide wich
> deletes to up date and which were potential
> mistakes.

It sounds like you might be interested in Unison:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Another option would be to rsync with a hard-link copy.  This way you'd
get what appear to be two separate filesystem trees, but only take up the
space of the original + differences, and a list of the differences (by
running rsync with -v).  You could select which files to keep at that
point and then erase the "duplicate" tree.  This is discussed in the
context of incremental backups at:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

If you go this route, be sure to use J.W.'s new --link-dest option as it
keeps the permissions straight.

Mike