Latest release of --files-from patch

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 1 05:04:22 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 03:16:43AM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> we have several options that accept multiple values from a file
> and we aren't switching to null termination for them but --null is
> rather unspecific.

Yes, I had been thinking a bit about that option as well.  I think I
would like to go the opposite direction of your suggestion and make
the option more general, i.e. have it affect both --exclude-from and
--include-from.  Then we just need to change the name to be clearer.
I was thinking that "--nulls-in-from" might be a good name.  Any
suggestions?

> It also occurs to me that it might make sense to always transfer
> the file-list over the network null terminated.

Doing this means that the sending side need to scan the data instead
of just transmit it.  It would make the protocol more consistent,
though, so I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking.