rsync 2.5.7 link-dest seems broken

gname at chriseb.ukshells.co.uk gname at chriseb.ukshells.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 22:41:08 EST 2003

jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> writes:

> Since you don't show command lines i cannot comment.

Okay, just for reference, in the following examples I am sync'ing the popt
subdirectory in the latest rsync distribution.  My user name and group name
are the same on both sides, and the directory popt is on the home directory on
both hosts:

On hosta, this will work to produce both two directories complete with hard
links:

rsync -avcz hosta:popt aaa
rsync -avcz --link-dest=`pwd`/aaa hosta:popt bbb

The status shown after the latter operation is as follows:

wrote 16 bytes  read 557 bytes  1146.00 bytes/sec
total size is 81037  speedup is 141.43

Similiarly, on hostb this will work to produce two directories complete with
hard links:

rsync -avcz hostb:popt aaa
rsync -avcz --link-dest=`pwd`/aaa hostb:popt bbb

The status after the last operation is:

wrote 16 bytes  read 547 bytes  160.86 bytes/sec
total size is 81037  speedup is 143.94

I then run the following commands on hosta:

rsync -avcz hostb:popt aaa
rsync -avcz --link-dest=`pwd`/aaa hostb:popt bbb

The status after the last operation is:

wrote 972 bytes  read 1044 bytes  1344.00 bytes/sec
total size is 81037  speedup is 40.20

and the files are not linked -- i assume some files have been copied across,
as there's more speedup than I see by compression alone.

Finally, the following on hosta will also work to create two directories plus
hard links:

rsync -avcz hostb:popt aaa
rsync -avcz --link-dest=`pwd`/aaa hosta:popt bbb

--
He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water