Question about file ownership on destination

acct svcs heartofthematter at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:38:17 EST 2003

Wayne

Actually, I tried that earlier and it didn't work.  The connection
terminates unexpectedly almost immediately after the process begins.  Rsyncd
uses user nobody by default, and that user can't create the files on the
server.  That would work perfectly if the server was the source, but in my
case it's the destination.

After your suggestion I did discover a solution, though.  I had to
explicitly assign uid and gid to root in rsyncd.conf (hmmm, security?).
Well, I have also restricted the allowed hosts and the segment is behind a
firewall that filters the rsyncd port, so it should be reasonably secure.

Thanks for helping out Wayne.

joe