Question about file ownership on destination

acct svcs heartofthematter at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 05:19:06 EST 2003

Hello

Regarding ownership on the destination:

rsync's man page indicates that when synchronizing files to a remote host,
-o  implies the --numeric-ids option, which makes perfect sense aince the
named users/groups may not exist on the destination host.  The problem I
have is that the files created on the destination still appear to be owned
by the local user (server1) on the rsync server. I do want to preserve the
actual ownership. How can I ensure this is done?

Here's an example of my configuration:

rsyncd.conf on 192.168.1.1:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
max connections = 4
#redundant chroot since this is the default, but just to be sure...
use chroot = yes

[server1]
        path = /netdisk/server1/mirror
        comment = server1 Server Root
        list = no
        read only = no
	auth users = server1server
	secrets file = /root/rsync-passwd
	hosts allow = 192.168.100.1
#note that the uid and gid belong to a non-privileged linux user "server1"
on this host
	uid = server1
	gid = server1

I run this from Server1:
rsync -av --delete --sparse --exclude="rsync-mirror.sh" --exclude="/proc/"
--exclude="/tmp/" --exclude="/mnt/" --exclude="/dev/" --exclude="/backup/"
--exclude="/backup2/" / server1server at 192.168.1.1::server1/

I'm using rsync 2.5.7 protocol version 2.6

TIA

Joe