bug on --partial

Manuel Mollar mm at mobelt.com
Sun Dec 28 19:50:37 EST 2003

Hi,
Sorry if this is well known.
Suposse I am transferring a large (by now) file, say 1Gbyte with --partial:
  rsync -e ssh -a --partial 1gbfile server:
If process is interrumpted, temporary file is renamed to good filename
with size samall than original, say 400Mbyte, ok.
If from client I do again the same command, then, in server the 400Mbyte
file is COPIED to another temporary file, but this take some time.
I from client I press crtl-C when in server temporary file is not
already copied, say is 200 Mbyte, temporary file overwrites the 400Mbyte
file, losing a lot of data.
Why do no symple rename partial file to temporry file, instead of COPYING?
(Copying generates obvious additional problems where disk space is short).