getting rid of "permission denied" partial transfer errors

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Wed Dec 24 03:46:07 EST 2003

> Or he could use SSH2 keys and an authorized_keys2 file,

Waxing pedantic, that really ought to be and/or.  SSH2 keys are great as
an added layer of security to apply some paranoia as to *what* box is
calling the script, no matter what user account you're using to log in with.

> allow root on forced-command-only.  This would prevent root logins, but
> allow a single box (or boxes) to rsync in and have read-only access to a
> specific share.  Or you could create a passwordless uid 0 user
> specifically for this purpose.  If you were really paranoid, the

Eek.  I would personally be more nervous about stray uid 0 accounts
floating around or direct root logins enabled (forced-command or no)
than about using sudo to call a script.

Jim Salter