rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

Thomas.Schweikle at fiducia.de Thomas.Schweikle at fiducia.de
Tue Dec 23 14:59:20 EST 2003

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:00:24AM +0100, Thomas.Schweikle at fiducia.de
wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> How can I find out what files wheren't transferred If I
>> have error:
>>
>>    rsync error: some files could not be transferred
>>    (code 23) at main.c(1045)
>>
>> running rsync?
>>
>> I've tried "rsync -v[v][v]" but had no success. It wasn't
>> possible to make sure what where the files producing the
>> error. Any idea?
>>
>> rsync is version 2.5.7
>
> You might try capturing stderr.

Tried that too, but without success. The only message I see is
IO error encountered - skipping file deletion
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

May the file-list is getting a bit to big for rsync?

If I splitt the transfer using

for i in *; do
  rsync -avv --delete --delete-excluded server::public/$i dest/
done

it works seamlessly. The file list is about 500000 files long.

--
Thomas