Permissions Problems

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Dec 23 09:16:21 EST 2003

> Here's my command copied from a shell script:\
>
> rsync --verbose  --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh
> --recursive --times --perms --links \
> /home/* trt at xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.xxx:/remotebackups/

It looks like you don't have the --delete in there (which you should have
to keep identical copies on both sides, but I don't know your situation so
take that with a grain of salt), so based on that, I would guess you
*might* have a full disk on the machine that you are backing up to.

> The script is being run from the root account. My understanding is that
> running as root will eliminate the permission errors, but apparently
> that's not so.

You'll get the permission problems because a full disk will prevent you
from adding anymore files onto it.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

"You know what you get after putting 30 years into a company? You're
 looking at it." -Downsized CIO of a major insurance carrier.