getting rid of "permission denied" partial transfer errors

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Dec 23 07:29:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:11:26PM +0100, Sayan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently setting up a backup script for the /home directory of a
> server. I send all the files on a remote machine through LAN connection
> using rsync to optimize bandwidth usage.
>
> The script is run as root on the server by a cron job but rsync connects
> to the remote machine as a normal user via an ssh key certificate. This
> leads to many "permission denied" errors, as the server side can read
> files (as root), but cannot create them on the receiving side.
>
> rsync -azSHe ssh --delete --numeric-ids /home backup at backup:/mnt/backup/
>
> Is there an option to ignore only such errors? I have read the man page
> over and over but i could not find anything to suit my needs.

Strange clustering: two people with the same problem.

Why ignore the errors?  They are meaningfull unless you
don't really care about whether the backups are any good.

If you insist on doing it this way go to the backup server
and chown the relevant file set to the account used.
Then review your rsync arguments and eliminate any that
are in conflict with running was a normal user:
	-a, -o, --numeric-ids, and probably -g

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt