Bug on cygwin? (rsync 2.5.7v26, problem?)

Linda W rsync at tlinx.org
Tue Dec 23 05:27:18 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 Dec 2003 13:18, Douglas Beethe wrote:

>    rsync -a xyz //somehost/abc     # Source: WinXP,  Target: Win2K

I noticed the snippet in the above post using the "//" notation.
Is that notation supposed to work?

I came off the cygwin list where I reported a problem in running an
rsync with the source being on a network path with the "//" notation.
My only answer was someone mentioning that maybe rsync didn't support
the "//" network notation (though I'm pretty sure I've used it on other
occasions).

I'd gotten the following errors:

 > rsync -avv --progress //source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/
building file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
199 files to consider
delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
send_files failed to open
//source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9/ANNOUNCE: No such file or
directory
send_files failed to open
//source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9/COPYING: No such file or
directory
...repeated for total of 193 filenames
----

Then I tar'ed the files from the source to the dst to move them 'manually'
and tried rerunning rsync -- wondering what it would do if all the files
were already there and got:

 > rsync -avv --progress //source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/
building file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
199 files to consider
delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
send_files failed to open
//source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9/ANNOUNCE: No such file or
directory
send_files failed to open
//source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9/ChangeLog: No such file or
directory
dictd-1.4.9/Makefile.conf is uptodate
dictd-1.4.9/Makefile.in is uptodate
send_files failed to open
//source/usr/src/packages/BUILD/dictd-1.4.9/README: No such file or
directory
...etc
----------

    This time 85 files gave the error message...about half, I'd guess
this was due to the FAT32 file-mod time, 2-second resolution problem --
the ones that didn't need transferring were readable on both src and
target for comparing as "uptodate", but any file that was thought to
need transferring, couldn't be opened by the send_files call.

I wonder if send_file is a supported system call on cygwin, or if it is
if there might be a few kinks left in it?

rsync version-info:
rsync  version 2.5.7  protocol version 26
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              no IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

Maybe it's specific to 2.5.7...dunno....

-linda

--
---
Capitalism:   The rewarding of software companies for producing software