partial transfer

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Dec 19 11:59:35 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:23:37AM -0500, Michael J. Lynn wrote:
> I am attempting to use rsync to backup a Win98 laptop to a FreeBSD 4.8
> backup server. I have experienced the same problem at roughly the same
> point in the process on two occations. The laptop contains ~2.7Gb of data.
> On the first attempt we received this error at 2.3Gb and on the second at
> 2.4Gb.
>
> rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(575)
>
> Would love to have a full backup of the laptop without error. Any assistance
> greatly appreciated.

That is to be expected.  All that means is that one or more
files were not able to be transferred.  It is necessary to
go through the output of rsync to identfy which files had
errors.

On a windows system open files will produce that condition
and a running windows box will have some system files open
at all times.

If you want to avoid that problem reboot the system onto a
live CD and mount the windows filesystem.  I just confirmed
that knoppix does have rsync and expect most of the other
live CD distros do as well.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt