Rsync over SSH w/ various shells

Tom Allen tallen at 10east.com
Fri Dec 19 04:46:18 EST 2003

I'm using Rsync 2.5.7, using an ssh key to connect, which has a forced
command of:

/usr/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/bin/rsync --server --daemon --config
/etc/rsyncd.conf .

The conf itself looks like:

uid = nobody
gid = nobody
use chroot = no
max connections = 1
syslog facility = local5
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
[slash]
        list = no
        path = /
        read only = yes
        hosts allow = xx.xx.xx.xx
        use chroot = yes
        max connections = 1
        exclude = /vol/ /proc/
        uid = root
        gid = root

When hosts allow is set to the ip of the box pulling the rsync.  When I
run rsync, and the shell for the user with the authorized_keys2 file is
set to ash, zsh, or bash1, the ip that the rsync daemon sees is the
actual IP.  With bash2, its 0.0.0.0.  Why does the shell matter like
that?  It seems (to me anyway) that bash2 is doing something evil.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Tom