Rsyncing Windows directory to a Linux box: problem with spacesin directory names

Max Kipness mkipness at geniant.com
Wed Dec 17 14:00:06 EST 2003

> > Based on what was just said above, I am using Bash version
> 2.05b.0(1),
> > and no extra configs for splitting are necessary as it splits
> > appropriately at the end of the line.
>
> No, bash splits on all whitespace by default.  Take a file like this:
>
>     one two three
>     four five six
>     seven eight nine
>
> put it in a var:
>
>     foo=`cat file`
>
> and then expand it:
>
>     echo $foo
>
> This echo command gets 9 separate args.  If you use this:
>
>     echo "$foo"
>
> This echo command gets just 1 arg (with spaces and newlines included).
>
> However, if you set IFS to contain just a newline, then the
> unquoted $foo reference returns 3 args.  So, that's one
> possible bash solution.

You are right about the splitting above, however I can use spaces in my
include file without issue. I don't know whether it is due to Bash or
not, but I do this on several Redhat 8/9 servers without modification to
the shell. Here is my include file:

+ BACKOFFICE/
+ BACKOFFICE/C$/
+ BACKOFFICE/C$/Documents and Settings/
- BACKOFFICE/C$/*
- BACKOFFICE/*

+ RAE-DELL/
+ RAE-DELL/C$/
+ RAE-DELL/C$/Documents and Settings/
- RAE-DELL/C$/*
- RAE-DELL/*

+ SERVER/
+ SERVER/C$/
+ SERVER/C$/Documents and Settings/
- SERVER/C$/*
+ SERVER/E$/
+ SERVER/E$/Files/
+ SERVER/E$/Files/Office/
+ SERVER/E$/Files/Users/
- SERVER/E$/Files/*
- SERVER/E$/*

- /*

And here is a partial listing of the log:

building file list ... readlink AMY/C$/hiberfil.sys: Text file busy
readlink AMY/C$/pagefile.sys: Text file busy
readlink 3RDFLOOR/C$/hiberfil.sys: Text file busy
readlink 3RDFLOOR/C$/pagefile.sys: Text file busy
readlink RAE-DELL/C$/hiberfil.sys: Text file busy
readlink RAE-DELL/C$/pagefile.sys: Text file busy
done
3RDFLOOR/C$/Documents and Settings/All Users/
3RDFLOOR/C$/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/Creative/Media Database/ALBUM.
DBF
3RDFLOOR/C$/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/Creative/Media Database/ALBUM0
.CDX
3RDFLOOR/C$/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/Creative/Media Database/ARTIST
.DBF

Max