Rsyncing Windows directory to a Linux box: problem with spaces in directory names

Charles Nadeau charlesnadeau at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:05:50 EST 2003

Max Kipness wrote:

>> > I am trying to rsync folders/files hosted on a Windows machine to a
>> > Linux machine. Many of the directory names have spaces in them.
>> > How can I list them in a file so that the --include-from option use
>> > them correctly?
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Charles
>>
>> try\ escaping\ the\ spaces\ like\ this
>> "or perhaps quoting"
>
> I just include them with the spaces and it works fine. This is with
> Redhat 8 or 9.

Max,

Here are more details on the problem.

The complete script I am using can be found there:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/contributed/rob_bos. The
command from this script that cause me problem is: rsync -va --delete
--modify-window=2 --delete-excluded
--exclude-from=$excludefile $backup $backuproot/$type.1/

Where:
$backup=`cat /etc/snapshot/include.text`
$backuproot=/backup
$excludefile=/etc/snapshot/exclude.text
$type=hourly

/etc/snapshot/include.text contains:
/diskbox/Mariage/*.tdk
/diskbox/Mariage/*.ppj
/diskbox/Outlook/
/diskbox/PourCD/
/diskbox/Toburn/
/diskbox/Anciens projets/

/etc/snapshot/exclude.text contains:
diskbox/Mariage/*.AVI
diskbox/Mariage/*.wmv
diskbox/Mariage/*.rm
diskbox/Mariage/*.mp2
diskbox/Outlook/Outlook/*.*

When I execute the script above with a directory name containing space in
include.text, I get the following error message:

building file list ... link_stat /diskbox/Anciens : No such file or
directory
link_stat projets/. : No such file or directory
done
IO error encountered - skipping file deletion
./

Anything I could do besides trying to escape the space or putting the whole
directory between double quote?
Thanks!

Charles

--