Rsync 2.5.7 --delete not working!!!

Wesley Joyce wjoyce at uvi.edu
Wed Dec 17 09:53:54 EST 2003

I am having a problem with rsync not deleting files on the destination that
no longer exist on the source.  The command I am using is: rsync -vaz
--delete /bantemp/* backenp650:/bantemp

Once the two trees are in sync, if I add a file to the source, run rsync
again, it will copy over the one new file.  If I delete the file on the
source, run rsync, the file still exists on the destination.  I do not have
an exclude list and I am not running an rsync daemon.  I was having the
problem using rsync-2.5.4-1 (RPM from the AIX Linux Toolbox) so I removed
that and compiled 2.5.7 on AIX 5.2 in 64 bit mode using VAC 6.0.

running rsync returns -
rsync  version 2.5.7  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
               no IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

rsync is a file transfer program capable of efficient remote update
via a fast differencing algorithm.

-cut-

I found this in the archive
http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg07868.html, and I
followed the solution of upgrading to the latest.

The objective is to completely mirror a tree between two hosts.  Only one
host will be the master (source).  Can anyone help me?  Thanks.