Prepping for a new release (2.5.8? 2.6.0?)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Dec 15 19:57:05 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 11:32:07PM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> would you care to take the bull by the horns and produce a release
> candidate for 2.5.8 so that the rsync enthusiasts on the rsync mailing
> list can give it a whirl prior to an official release (hopefully by
> Christmas)?

I was just about to say something about this on the list, so I'll do it

Yes, I'd like to get the CVS version finished up and a new release made.
I'm currently reviewing a few old emails I had marked, and checking in
some minor changes.

Some questions for everyone:

 - What issues remain that need to be worked out before a new release?
   For instance, we should probably organize a security audit of the
   code changes for the new version (some auditing was done recently,
   but I'm not sure exactly how much).

 - What should we call the new version?  I'm leaning towards 2.6.0
   because of the new features (such as --files-from) and the various
   large changes (such as better check-summing, fixed include/exclude
   matching, etc.), but I could be talked into 2.5.8.

If the remaining issues are small, I'll create a test release tarball in
the next day or so, which will allow those adverse to CVS to help out in
the pre-release testing.