Rsync died on big directories/file-lists

Vu Huynh vhuynh at atmel.com
Wed Dec 10 05:54:25 EST 2003

   Hi,

      My name is Vu Huynh.  I'm currently work for Atmel Corporation.  We're using Rsync v2.5.7 to
rsync design kits between our remote sites.  It works fine for all small kit directories.  However,
there is 1 BIG kit directory (But there is no file has the size of bigger than 100MB) that always
gets "rsync: connection unexpectedly closed" Error.  The Full Error Message is below:

  % rsync --password-file  -avz user at host::KIT1 KIT1 --exclude '5.*' --exclude '6.*'
receiving file list ... done
./
7.0/
7.0/bin/
7.0/bin/AWK/
7.0/bin/IA32,Linux_2.4.7-10,32bits/
7.0/tools_sources/
7.0/tools_sources/templates/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1892713 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

     Does file-list has a size limitation?  Or something was not setup right in this kit directory?
  I hope you can have any clue/suggestion of what was wrong or limitation of rsync.

	Thank you and have a good day!

		  Vu Huynh