Completing subdirectories in include list

Lukas Kubin kubin at opf.slu.cz
Mon Dec 8 19:23:06 EST 2003

I'm having troubles using rsync to synchronize only files+directories
specified in "include list". I'm using command

rsync -avP --include-from=list --exclude="*" /from/ /to/

The "list" file contains 2 entries:

/a/b/file1
/file2

Rsync doesn't transfer file1 until I add all the subdirectories tree. It
means I have to adjust the list this way:

/a/
/a/b/
/a/b/file1
/file2

File "file2" is always transferred since it it is placed in root
directory. Of, course, directory /from/ contains many more
subdirectories and file which I don't want to synchronize.

Is this a bug or am I using it a bad way? Why do I need to complete the
include list by hand? It's very slow to do the completion with just
shell utils.

Thank you.

lukas