rsync documentation for "--server" option?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Dec 4 12:37:51 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:16:02PM -0800, Izzy Kindred wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	The rsync man page shows example invocations that use the
> "--server" option.  I could not find documentation for this option (a)
> in the man page (b) in the HTML man page on the website (c) in the
> "--help" help.  I therefore found these examples to be confusing.
>
> 	Is there anywhere where I can find documentation for the
> "--server" option?
>
> 	As a result of not finding documentation, I had to experiment
> to figure out that if you want to run an rsync server from the command
> line as non-root, you seem to have to *omit* the "--server" option.
> However, I still have no idea when the "--server" option should be
> used.

--server is not to run an rsync DAEMON.  --server is an
rsync internal option used only by an rsync client in
starting an rsync server, most often over a remote shell.
That is why it isn't documented.  Its use is only for the
most advanced users when setting up a restricted-use ssh key
and in most cases the use of the SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND
enviroment variable in a script is the prefered method.

If you want to start an rsync daemon use the --daemon option
as the rsyncd/rsyncd.conf manpage tells you.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt