rsync'd destination much larger than source

acct svcs heartofthematter at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:52:28 EST 2003

Hello.

Recently, I started using rsync to backup files in my root partition on an
Ensim
box over to a remote machine.  The remote machine 'pulls' from the Ensim box
using the following:

rsync -arvzx --exclude=/proc --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/mnt --delete
--delete-excluded -e ssh 192.168.0.1:/  /bkup/rootpart/

The problem is, if I 'df' the Ensim box, it reports that the entire root
partition
is using 3.5 GB of space, however, the rsync'd copy of the root directory
structure on the remote box is consuming over 23 GB.  Note that I did use -x
as well as some excludes to ensure that files on other partitions mounted
below '/ ' were not copied. Initially, my thoughts were that
symbolic links to directories were being treated as regular directories and
being copied repeatedly.  This does not appear to be the case, however.

The source server uses ext3, while the destination is ext2.  Blocksize is 1K
in
both cases.

I'm certain I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.  Any
help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Joe