rsync daemon and secrets file

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Aug 27 06:31:11 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:04:53PM -0400, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> Martin Pool [mbp at sourcefrog.net] wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:49:36 -0400
> > Hardy Merrill <hmerrill at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO, it would enhance user understanding to provide a
> > > concrete EXAMPLE of this.  Also, it would help in
> > > 'man rsyncd.conf' not only to see an example of an
> > > rsyncd.conf file, but also to see examples of the
> > > different transfers that could be done with that
> > > rsyncd.conf file.  I'm not criticizing - just mearly
> > > noticing an area that given some attention, could
> > > increase user understanding and decrease support.
> >
> > Could you please draft a couple of paragraphs to add to the manual
> > that you think would improve it?  If you post them here I will check
> > them and commit them.
>
> Documentation is definitely not my strong suit :-)  It's
> pretty rough, and I'm not sure that it's in the place that
> makes the most sense, but it's at least a start.  Let me
> know what your thoughts are.
>
> I first checked out rsync from CVS this morning and started
> with rsyncd.conf.5 from that.  I'm including the whole
> *changed* rsyncd.conf.5 - I added an EXAMPLE in the
> "auth users" section.

1. Don't send the whole file.  Just a diff -u or if that is
so ugly it obscures the new code/text just send the section
that is changed/added.

2. rsync.conf.yo is the soruce file in question.  At present
the man file sare generated from the yodl files with a
non-mainline version of yodl2man.  A change to the man file
would have to be back-ported to the yodl file so it would be
best to make your changes to the yodl file.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt